Skip to main content

Studying Abroad

Because civic and global engagement is a central to the mission of the University, many students who are registered with AccessibleNU-Q (ANU-Q) study in credit or non-credit programs in other countries during their Northwestern careers. For instance, ANU-Q students participate in international programs through the NU Office of Undergraduate Research, in grass-roots, service-learning programs through the Global Engagement Studies Institute (GESI), as well as NU-Q sponsored travel including but not limited to Communication Exchange, Journalism Residency, Service Learning Travel, Global Media Experience.  ANU staff worked closely with NU-E Undergraduate Learning Abroad to produce the Accessibility Abroad page, which provides many helpful recommendations and guidelines.

For the most part, students registered with ANU-Q are eligible to receive similar if not the same accommodations while studying internationally. However, this cannot always be guaranteed since our laws governing disability rights don't have to be honored in other countries. To begin the process of requesting accommodations for your program, please complete the following steps:

  1. Schedule an appointment with your trip leader/adviser to explore study abroad goals, programs, locations of interest, and necessary accommodations.
  2. Confirm with your trip leader/adviser what type of documentation is needed for programs of interest (which is typically verification that you're registered with ANU-Q and a summary of your accommodations, but please ask).
  3. Email AccessibleNU-Q specifying exactly what information needs to be sent, to whom, and their contact information.
  4. If verification is being sent to the trip leader/adviser via email, you will be copied on the email; otherwise ANU-Q staff will let you know when your request has been completed (typically within 1 week).

If you're considering a program abroad but are concerned about how your condition may impact your travel or study, please discuss this with your trip advisor or other university staff.  Additional resources include Mobility International USA and Diversity Abroad.

Back to top