Skip to main content

New Student FAQ

Where can I find my Student ID number?

The student ID number is available in your Admissions Letter issued to you by our Admissions team.

How do I access the Student Experience Portal?

Please use the following link to access your Student Experience Portal. Use your NetID and password to log into the portal.

How do I apply for campus housing?

Campus housing is managed by Qatar Foundation. As soon as you submit your deposit to Northwestern Qatar as a new student, you can apply for campus housing through the Student portal. Learn more.

How can I complete the payment for housing deposit?

Please login to to submit your housing deposit. You will receive a receipt from flywire; please upload the receipt to your QF Housing application. You do not need to submit a receipt to Northwestern Qatar.

When will I hear back from Qatar Foundation Student Housing?

Qatar Foundation Student Housing will process your application and email you a confirmation within the a few weeks of completing the housing application form.

What time can I check into my on-campus accommodation?

QF Housing check in is available 24 hours a day. One of our New Student Ambassadors will be at the airport to greet you and bring you to QF Student Housing, they will then assist you with your check in process.

Does Northwestern provide airport transportation?

Northwestern will arrange your transportation from the airport to student housing between August 14 – 17, 2024. Please note that airport transfers are provided to students only. Student Experience is not able to arrange transfers to family members.

When can International Students Arrive in Qatar?

International Students can arrive in Qatar and move into their on-campus accommodation between August 14 and 17, 2024.

How can I apply for jobs on campus?

As a new student, you are allowed to apply for student jobs on campus. More information, and available positions can be accessed through the following page: Please check the page often to review any additional openings that may become available.

Can my family and friends accompany me to Qatar during New Student Orientation?

Yes, you can learn more about Qatar’s entry requirements for family and friends accompanying you here. They will need to make their own visa and accommodation arrangements.

Do I need permission to enter Qatar unaccompanied, if I am younger than 18?

At the moment, Qatar does not have any restrictions on minors entering the country unaccompanied. Please check local regulations from your country of departure as well as any transport points.

Do I need to declare a major right away?

No. Students do not need to declare a major until sophomore year.

When do I register for classes? What classes should I take?

First-year students register for fall classes during New Student Orientation, which takes place the week before fall term begins. You will meet with your academic adviser to discuss course options.

Transfer students click here to learn more about registering for classes as a transfer student. 

How do I get to campus? Where do I park?

The Education City Tram and QF Transport are available to students commuting within Education City (EC). In addition, the Doha Metro and taxi/Uber are available options commuting to campus from outside EC. Students who drive may park in the QFIS Parking, where there is signage to guide you to the NU-Q South Main Entrance.

Where can I find food on campus?

There are various options to dine within Education City from cafeterias and cafes to restaurants in Multaqa (Student Center). Options include Zatar W Zeit, Papa John's, Graze, Exit 55, Chickito, and Which Wich.

I am a transfer student. Do I need to participate in the New Student Orientation?

Yes. New Student Orientation is mandatory for all new first-year and transfer students.

What computer will I need for my classes at Northwestern Qatar?

Northwestern Qatar provides facilities for students like computer labs, editing suites, an animation lab, audio recording studios and more.

For personal laptop needs, review Northwestern Computer Hardware Recommendations before buying it to ensure compatibility with Northwestern technology. IT strongly recommends that each student's laptop meets power user specifications given the collaborative nature of Northwestern Qatar coursework and the computational demands of media production software.

Please email if you have questions about the readiness of your setup.

Back to top